I can’t believe it’s almost the end of October. Which also means, it’s almost Halloween! Do you have anything planned? Already know what you’re dressing up as? Unfortunately, I won’t be attending any parties this year – instead, I’ll be handing out sweets…what kind of sweets you ask? Pumpkin Spice M&M Cookies! 🙂
I decided to kill two birds with one stone by doing my weekly baking AND using them as sweet treats for the neighborhood trick or treaters. While trying to figure out what to bake, I skimmed over a number of articles for ‘Halloween Treats for Kids’, but everything seemed to be cupcakes or truffles or just something that was too temperamental and would easily get destroyed in kids’ Halloween candy baskets. Finally, I found Martha Stewart’s Chewy Caramel Mystery Cookies and I remembered as a kid, I always loved M&M cookies (probably because of all the sugar & chocolate). So I knew this would be the perfect thing to bake.
The secret ingredient is, without a doubt, the vanilla pudding mix. I know, I know. They may not be the healthiest cookies ever, but the preservatives in the pudding mix make these cookies extremely soft with a nice golden brown crunch on the edges.
To make these cookies, I modified a chocolate chip cookie recipe from Allrecipes by Debbi. This recipe has a 4.5/5 rating and over 7500 reviews, so she must be doing something right! Allrecipes is definitely one of my top go-to websites for basic baking recipes.
If you’re also wondering where I got my ingredients, I picked most of them up from Stater Bros. and the pumpkin spice M&Ms, pudding mix, treat bags, ribbon, and calligraphy pen from Target.
Ingredients & Costs:
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour = $0.63
- 1 teaspoon baking soda = $0.01
- 1 teaspoon baking powder = $0.02
- 1 cup butter, softened = $2.25
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar = $0.08
- 1/4 cup white sugar = $0.04
- 1 (3.4 ounce) package instant vanilla pudding mix = $0.94
- 2 eggs = $0.62
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract = $0.30
- 1 – 1 1/2 cups pumpkin spice M&Ms = $2.60
Grand Total = $7.40
Original recipes makes approximately 2 – 2 1/2 dozen cookies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line cookie sheet with baking paper or aluminum foil. Set aside.
- Whisk the flour, baking soda & baking powder together. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter until light and fluffy, then incorporate the brown sugar and white sugar. Beat in the instant pudding mix until blended. Stir in the eggs and vanilla. Blend in the flour mixture. Drop cookies by rounded spoonfuls onto cookie sheets with your hands or with a cookie-dough scooper.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes in the preheated oven. Edges should be slightly golden brown. Press 5 or so M&Ms onto the cookies right after they get out of the oven. Let them cool for at least 10-15 minutes before consuming.
Store cookies in airtight container for up to 6 days.
And that’s it friends! This is such a quick and easy recipe that all kids will definitely love. I mean really, who doesn’t love cookies and candy, right?
If you do attempt baking these cookies, please let me know. I’d love to hear how they turned out!