Ingredients & Costs:
- ½ cup butter = $1.13
- 1 cup light brown sugar = $0.11
- 1 egg = $0.31
- 1½ tsp vanilla = $0.15
- ¼ tsp salt = $0.01
- 1 1/2 cups flour = $0.45
- 1 cup mashed banana (2 medium bananas) = $0.69
Brown Sugar Frosting
- ¼ cup butter, cubed = $0.56
- ½ cup light brown sugar = $0.06
- 2 Tbsp milk = $0.04
- 1 cup powdered sugar = $0.40
Grand Total = $3.91
Original recipes makes 16 bars
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line an 8×8 baking dish with foil and spray with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Beat together butter and sugar. Add in egg and vanilla and continue mixing until incorporated.
- Whisk together salt & flour. Add salt, flour and banana until batter is smooth and even. Spread in prepared pan.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until center is set. Frost once they are mostly cooled.
- In a medium saucepan melt butter. Add brown sugar and milk and stir until sugar has completely melted and mixture is smooth. Remove from heat, allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Whisk in powdered sugar and add more milk if necessary.
- Spread frosting on top of bars and allow it to set completely before cutting into squares.
Store bars in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or at room temperature in an airtight container for 5 days.
If you have any questions or suggestions, feel free leave them in a comment below. And as always, I’d love to hear how your bars turn out! 🙂